Thursday 20 September 2012

My Bad Luck With Technology

I seem to be having some really horrendous bad luck with technology lately - first my HTC Incredible S smartphone died (the adaptor that you put the USB cable into failed first and then the battery went), second my laptop got a virus that will let it start up but won't let me log in to it (all our photo's of the kids and places we have been are on it), and third now my phone has gone missing in transit!
You'd think Optus wouldn't lose a mobile phone that they send off to be repaired, but they have. The customer service person that we spoke to on the phone then had the gall to tell us that they weren't liable and legally didn't have to replace the phone, which is a complete crock of shit! By LAW they are required to replace any item that is lost while in their care, just as any other company is required to do if things in their care go missing.
So I am still without my phone and relying on a 7yr old dodgy Samsung flip phone with no internet access that is unable to send, receive or take photo's, in order to stay in contact with people. And wasting my 2.38gig of download data that I still have in credit which is due to expire on September 26th, which also marks a full month since my phone died and was sent off to be repaired.
I really don't know how I managed without my smartphone before I purchased it in early September last year, it has been so difficult the last 3.5 weeks without it. I am cut off from my online support network on Facebook (I can't use Facebook on my husband's laptop, I can only browse ebay and google and update this blog), I am also unable to take pictures of the kids, our life, friends or even our pets - the Dog and the Rats & Mice.
My own mum who lives interstate and has only seen the kids a few times in person (She still hasn't met Emily yet) can't even see updated photo's of them as they grow which is the worst thing of all, she has missed out on seeing almost a whole month of their lives that I could have uploaded onto Facebook for her if my phone hadn't of died and hadn't gone missing.

To add to this my period turned up yesterday, I feel cheated as I am breastfeeding and it still turned up, I was hoping it wouldn't show up for at least 6 months, and it's yet another reminder that I won't be having more kids. I'll have another 20+ years of getting it pretty much every month, of having the cramps and horrible pain, as I refuse to have a hysterectomy, until I go through menopause. What fun, NOT!

Yes I know this is another vent/down post, so I'll bring it up with something happier - my driving lessons.

So far I have 3 hours and 20 minutes of driving experience under my belt, only another 116 hours and 40 minutes of driving time left to go before I will feel comfortable and positive enough to go for my Probationary License and get my P-plates.
On wednesday I did 36 minutes of driving, did a few laps around one of the local football ovals and then drove the few blocks (including going around a round-a-bout) to home. The only down thing about Wednesday's lesson was when I was practicing my parking I hit the metal fence that surrounds the football field. It brought on a bloody migraine, so I'm not feeling 100% at the moment.
Yesterday I had my 3rd driving lesson and drove from Clarke's Road in Hazelwood North all the way up to Jeeralang Junction and then into Churchill and then all the way back home, I even got up to 100km/h but had one brief scare where I didn't pay attention to the road properly and started veer into another lane by accident, I could have caused a car accident which scared the crap out of me, at least this time I didn't have a panic attack. I missed our driveway though when we got home and ended up half on the road half on the nature strip just past our driveway, so that wasn't very good. Last night I had my 4th driving lesson, a very short one going from home to Mid Valley Shopping Center to get some things and then from Mid Valley back to home, this time I made it into the driveway! Such a relief.
Matt wants me to go for another drive today, but if the strong winds keep up then I won't feel comfortable going for a drive today, I don't feel ready for that yet as I have enough trouble staying in one lane when there isn't any wind and if I have to fight the wind while driving as well then I will be more likely to have an accident now than I will be in a few weeks when I have more experience and confidence in driving.

I mentioned our pets further up this post so I will tell you about them now. We have a dog named Libby, a Rottweiler, who will be 11 in February, and pet Rats and Mice that I breed. I sell the mice as pets because I can guarantee their health and I am working on their friendliness, but I don't sell any of the rats as I am working on the health and friendliness of their lines. We have a lot of issues down here in the Latrobe Valley with the health of rodents who live outside so I am undertaking a long term project to improve their health as they do live outside.
I have 9 adult mice and currently have 9 baby mice, in a variety of colours (Siamese, Blue, Chocolate, Brindle, Black and White) although the babies are all Manx and one of the males is a Manx.
I have 15 adult rats, 8 females and 7 males, in Black Hooded, Black Berkshire, Black Varigated Berkshie, Agouti, Mink Capped, Champagne Hooded and Blue Hooded with Standard and Rex coats, and I currently have 9 baby Rats in Black Hooded, Champagne Hooded, Dalmation and Black Eyed White with Rex coats.
So those are our pets :)

We are also currently working on our vegetable garden, we have Sage and Rosemary bushes growing which have been in their for 3 years now and are doing great, when we first started it we grew Blueberries in a pot, Strawberries, lettuce and snow peas which did really well, the snow peas kept on producing for 5 months before they finally died off, we must have got about 8kg of snow peas off the vines during that time and they were so delicious!
The 2nd year we didn't plant anything as we just didn't have the time, we just moved the Strawberry to a pot to stop Jaycen from eating them lol, and still had the blueberries in a pot, we got around 100 blueberries from the one plant.
Last year we grew Garlic, Onions (which failed and never grew to more than 1.5cm in size), Zucchini, Lettuce (from the previous years lettuce which we had let go to seed), Cherry Tomato's (which were so yummy!) and Strawberries (which we moved to the front of the house because Jaycen still kept on eating them lol), and the blueberries still grew but we only got around 20 as it was a really hot summer.
This year we will be growing our strawberries again, the blueberry bush must have around 200 flowers on it this year so hopefully we get that many from it, I will be planting lettuce again along with Snow Peas, Sugar Snap Peas and Cherry Tomato's, and I'm hoping to plant some cucumber and zucchini again, and possibly carrots, Broccoli, Caulliflower and beans, and if Matt will let me some Pumpkins as well.
It is something to look forward to anyway, Matt has nearly finished digging up and removing the cooch grass from the veggie patch and once he has finished he will be mixing blood and bone fertilizer through the soil (it's pretty good soil anyway but water comes down from the roof of the rat shed into the veggie patch and a lot of the good nutrients end up being washed away when we have big downpours in winter and spring so we like to prepare the soil first before we plant anything in spring and then top up with liquid fertilizer every month or so while things are growing).

Well that is it for this entry, until next time.
Jenna - xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment